Queensbury Parks and Recreation
Skip to nav
Youth Swim Lessons - Summer 2020 - Term 3
This program is currently unavailable. Click here to view all of our current programs.
Scroll down the screen to see all available swim levels
The Queensbury Parks & Recreation Department offers swim lessons year round. Indoor lessons are conducted at the Queensbury Elementary School pool from September to April and summer outdoor swim lessons are held at Gurney Lane Recreation Area late June to mid-August. Youth (ages 3-16)swim lessons are taught the American Red Cross – Pre-School Aquatics and Learn to Swim Levels 1-6 progressions and are taught by department-trained swim lesson instructors and swim aides, overseen by a certified American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor. Class swim lesson participant to instructor ratios meet or exceed American Red Cross recommendations and are overseen by an onsite lifeguard. In addition to youth swim lessons, the department offers Infant/Parent (6mos-18mos.) & Toddler/Parent (18mos-36mos.) classes. These half-hour classes have the parent and child interacting and learning through guided in-water exploration.
** Level 1 - an Adult must accompany the child in the Water, to be the "hands on support"
**Levels 5 & 6 are a 1/2 class
- Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we are operating under the CDC guidelines to ensure your safety and well-being. We have the following requirements in place to adhere to these guidelines:
- All participants and parents must wear face masks (except when in the water) and provide their own
- All participants will practice social distancing
- Upon entry to the program, all patrons will have their temperature (non-touch) taken and a brief COVID-19 assessment completed
- All patrons will use hand sanitizer at entry/exit points
- Only registered participant and parent will be allowed into the pool area, in order to meet our required capacity and social distancing limits set forth by the states re-opening phase plan.
- Department Office: 518-761-8216
- Gurney Lane: 518-745-4481
- Inclement Weather: Lessons will be taught in the rain. If thunder/lightening is heard or seen we will conduct "Safety Day" activities. I.E. Swimming safety videos, poster boards, dryland PFD use, aquatic coloring sheets